Landing : Athabascau University

Unit 1: Learning Diary + Submission

  • Public
By Jamal Habash May 24, 2018 - 6:02am

Hey All! Here is my Learning Diary for Unit 1. 

Work I have Done For The Unit: 

I put a lot of effort into Unit 1, and the results of my work can be seen in my submission (embedded as a PDF document in this post). Overall, I developed the themes and purposes for my website, developed 5 personas, developed 6 scenarios and created both a sitemap and mock-up. 

The website I designed for this Unit (and for this course) is a personal portfolio website, that will help promote me in academia and in the job market. To my surprise, I found creating both persona's and scenarios to be an excellent exercise that not only allowed me to design a good website but also made me think about the people I'd like to promote myself to in the job market. 

Learning Outcomes: 

The learning outcomes listed for Unit 1 are as follows:

  • identify the potential audience and purpose for a website
  • use a simple but structured process to identify how the website will address the needs of the anticipated audience.

In my opinion, I have met and exceeded these learning outcomes. In regards to identifying a potential audience and purpose for the website, I created a purpose for the website and developed a wide variety of personas that may access the website. Specifically, I decided I would design a personal portfolio website, that may be accessed by employment recruiters, professors and peers to learn more about my work in the engineering field. 

In regards to, "use a simple but structured process to identify how the website will address the needs of the anticipated audience", I followed the structured process listed in Unit 1 and identified how the website would address the needs of my anticipated audience. Specifically, I first developed the themes and purpose of the website. Next, I developed personas of people who may use the website. Then I developed scenarios for why and how these people would use the website. Lastly, I used these scenarios to inform my website mock-up and site-map. The mock-up and site-map were designed around the scenarios to meet the needs of the people I anticipate using the website. 

What Went Well:

There were many things that went well in this unit. I thought the process of creating personas and scenarios was useful, and a good exercise in helping me design a website mockup and sitemap. 

What Didn't Go Well: 

Overall, it took me a long time to complete this unit, I will have to speed up my work to complete the course.

My Unit 1 Submission:  

Unit 1: Site Design

Comments

Load More
These comments are moderated. Your comment will not be visible unless accepted by the content owner.

Only simple HTML formatting is allowed and any hyperlinks will be stripped away. If you need to include a URL then please simply type it so that users can copy and paste it if needed.

(Required)

(Required)