Landing : Athabascau University
  • Blogs
  • COMP 361 – Reflection about Assignment 2

COMP 361 – Reflection about Assignment 2

  • Public
By Lexi MacDonald September 15, 2022 - 9:58am

I found this assignment much easier than the first assignment. While completing the first assignment, I was very confused and put it off for a long time. I also had a lot of issues figuring out how much detail to use for each question. Because of the immense detail I used in the first assignment, I had a lot of great information when beginning this one.

I read through a lot of the assignment discussion postings before beginning my work, and continued to check them throughout if I got confused at all. The posting have been extremely helpful to me and I encourage everyone to use them as much as possible! 

Part A was probably the most difficult for me to get through. Although I had a large number of use cases from assignment 1, I was unsure of how to handle the temporal/internal cases, as well as use cases that did not directly involve the system (such as a shipping company sending out application packages to peoples addresses). I looked it up online, and saw temporal cases without a line connecting them to an actor, and examples where the activity was put outside of the automation boundary for cases that did not begin in the system, and then they had “includes” or “extends” cases within the boundary. I found myself also debating whether or not certain tasks would be done on the system, or if they would be done outside of it. I have not yet received my mark, but I am hoping I did not hurt myself trying to do this. 

For part B, I had a bit of trouble getting through it as well. I kept putting it off and working on another part before returning to it. It was the last thing I completed. I went through the car sharing document and highlighted each thing I considered to be a “class” in one color, and what I considered an “attribute” in another. I ended up with an exhaustingly long list of things. By trying to follow the diagram on page 111 of the textbook, I narrowed it down by combining certain things into 1 object, and picking out the attributes I felt were most important. Most of these diagrams I have seen in the past keep it decently simple, so I decided to try to limit the number of class objects I was using to eliminate confusion.

I found part C and D to be the easiest for me to complete. Because of the long list of use cases from assignment 1 and part A, I had a good foundation. I may have overdid it in assignment 1 with the list of use cases and gave them a decent description from the beginning. Therefore, for the brief descriptions I just had to format what I had a bit better. The figure on page 122 of the textbook that the assignment pointed to for the fully developed use case was extremely helpful when making your own. I followed the instructions described and formatted it the same way they did, and I was able to complete it pretty quickly. Because I have such a good understanding of the case study and the information I have used, I found it easy to place things into the categories for the fully developed use case diagram, and to complete the essay in part D as I had a lot of the information already. 

I was frustrated with the amount of time and effort I put into assignment 1, however it really helped me when working through assignment 2 so I am no longer upset about it.

 

Comments

These comments are moderated. Your comment will not be visible unless accepted by the content owner.

Only simple HTML formatting is allowed and any hyperlinks will be stripped away. If you need to include a URL then please simply type it so that users can copy and paste it if needed.

(Required)

(Required)